Monday, March 03, 2008

Tomorrow I get to cast a vote in a historic primary

Driving through Columbus today would not have any one questioning who will win Ohio tomorrow. Everybody is all about Obama. I remember when my mom called me in college and said that there was this young man who everyone loved and she just knew he was going to be president some day. That was him. Wow, I keep talking about my mother. Yikes. I don't talk to her everyday anymore, okay? And what if I did? She is a rad lady and a great conversationalist. It doesn't make me any less mature if I did talk to her everyday. Some people can't handle that. So I am pretty sure I am going to go with Obama, but I want to make sure it is for the right reasons. Here is why I am 90% sure I will go with Obama tomorrow:
1) positive attitude throughout the campaign (even if he has someone else doing his dirty work)
2) his stand on eduction- incentive-based paid for individual teachers based on progress made with students, promotes school-choice, wants to revamp NCLB. more money for failing schools, wants to revamp administration. Believes schools need new leadership
3) he has a higher standard for the environment by a negligible amount
4) for reasons unbeknown to me, even though I am trying to did them out, I just don't like Hillary. Isn't that incredible mean? I love the fact that women can rise to such potential, but I am wondering is it that I truly don't like her, or do I not like her because my culture has brainwashed me to believe that women in power are mean "bit*&y" (excuse my language) or uptight. If a woman doesn't fit the 50's housewife model I think she gets judged by the larger society. I think there is still a long way for the women's movement to go... we must get past the perceptions that women must offer sex, be mean, or stay at home bearing children. There are so many other beautiful and wonderful things that women do that aren't celebrated by the media, the general public or even by the individual herself.

So I am not voting for the woman. I don't think. Go figure.

No comments: