Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter and my attitude during familiy gatherings

My dog is on his back, paws stretched out, belly exposed, smiling. It looks like a picture of peace but total awkwardness at the same time. Most dogs don't sleep like this. They ball up or lay on their side. Not Sam. He is Mr. Luxury, his back paw is about 6 inches from my chin and he is taking up much more than his fair share of the couch.

Today was Easter and almost the whole family was here to eat and hunt eggs and dye eggs and play euchre and pet Sam. No wonder he is luxuriating on the couch, he has been in paradise all day. Why do we do family gatherings? They seem so stressful to everyone involved. I am happy to see these folks that I love, but when they all get together, I get stressed. It isn't fair to Jon or to my guests. It is this insane obsession I have with 100% unity, which I am not sure can be obtained when you bring two pretty different families together. Throw in the mix a sensitive person or two, an exhausted one, a dominant mama or two, and two or three men who all they want to do is please the women and keep the peace. When do we get past these underlying issues? I am not sure this is the way it is suppose to be, but I guess it might be this way when mixing any group of people.

I also have to have everything perfect when our families are here. I want every detail attended to and every person with a smile constantly. This just isn't fair to me or my guests. What is this a result of? On holidays, I want to be like Sam. Totally relaxed, enjoying the TRUE MEANING of the holiday- that the battle of my salvation has been won. I want to be belly up in the lap of a loved one not concerned with what others are thinking. I think it could happen, I am going to work towards this.

1 comment:

annacoffeebean said...

I really like reading your blog Helen. Thanks for sharing.